Gosh darnit I never thought I'd say this, but I need a rant and I need it good.
I HATE MY UNIVERSITY'S LIBRARY.
In fact, I don't believe it should even be CALLED a library. It is severely understocked. I mean, in a scale of libraries at Universities, I'd say it is possibly the smallest known to man.
Secondly, it is horrid. It looks like hunks of metal and carpet from the 80's (not even the cool vintage looking stuff, just yucky). Comfort factor? Zero. I don't even want to attempt to sit down in there. The chairs look like they are either made of brick, or that you'll sink down and never come out again. The only thing it's got going for it is the computer system. That's it!
What has prompted this unusual rant from Claire? You may enquire? Well, it is simple. They want to charge me a $73 fee, because I haven't returned a book. Why? Because it is 5 weeks overdue. Fair enough, it is 5 weeks overdue. But this is because I have been on holidays.
I emailed the librarians and told them I had it with me while I was away. Was there any possiblity of renewing the book so that I could return it once I got back? There answer was, no I could not. BUT I could send it in the post. SEND IT IN THE POST?! Never! One, that would cost me money; two, this book is frail enough as it is, sending it in the post would make it decintegrate, of that I am sure.
Which brings me to another point. $73 fee! On a book of which I am sure would cost $5 from a second hand store, and to buy it new would cost $10 from Angus and Robertson. That I know because I contemplated buying it, seeing as it is a classic! So, what the HELL would my other $63 go towards?! I know that there is no one in line waiting to read it after me, or I would have been notified by email. Furthermore, there are another three copies of it in the library. Sure, they are new and not falling to pieces, and paperback rather than hardback. But they are the same story.
I wonder that if I do return the book tomorrow whether I will still have to pay the fee? Is it just an inconvience fee? Because if that is so, then they owe ME an inconvience fee for not allowing my to renew my book. All they'd have to do it click a button!
Sheesh kebab!
/end rant.
EDIT: I called the library to see how I could rectify the matter, and no one answered. Who doesn't answer their phone on a Monday at 12?! I'm well within business hours. Bastards.
No comments:
Post a Comment