Friday, April 3, 2009

BEDA #2: Nicknames

I've officially decided that I'll not catchup on the first of April post. I could call it an April Fools, but that would just be bailing. Instead I'll do an extra day on May 1st to wrap it up. Makes sense and all.

Nothing much has really happened over the past two days to me, personally, which really warrant a blog post. Yesterday I cooked and cleaned the house for mum (really, it's the least I can do, considering I mooch and don't pay board). Today I'm off to get Emily's birthday present, seeing as she's 16 tomorrow. It's going to be a joint charm with a moon on one side and a sun on the other. We have about a million nicknames for each other, two of those being De Moon (Emily) and De Sun (me). I saw it by chance and figured I had to get it, even though I feel like it is a little bit of a cop-out present as I'm getting something as well. But I got her a little Mario figure to compensate. Yeah, Mario is another nickname...

Aren't nicknames odd? Emily and I have a list now that must go for a full page. Mostly they involve us comparing ourselves to famous duos to see which one we are more like. Ie, I am John, she is Hank. I am Vince Noir from The Mighty Boosh, she is Howard Moon. I am Hamish and she is Andy. Mostly they are male names. Wierd? Perhaps.

I -think- it originated with De Sun and De Moon, but the first one I remember really agreeing on was Harry and Hermione. One day, I called Emily Hermione because she stresses (much more than I ever did) over her school work. There were quite a few other things involved with it, but that was the main thing. I was dubbed Harry mostly for the glasses, if I remember correctly. It then branched out into a complete coverage of the rest of the family (although they don't know it). Sarah is Neville, due to the duality of her nature; sometimes she's endearing, others she gets on your nerves like no other person you've known before. Mum was dubbed Snape, as at the time we were having a minor argument, but we always know she does it because she wants us to do well and be safe. If I remember correctly, Dad was Voldemort. I don't have such a high opinion of him. Although, I think Professor Quirell would fit him more. Finally, Sam and Pippin are Fred and George, what with their being from the same litter.

This wasn't so much a comment on nicknames in general, which is what I was going to aim for. Instead it's more the origin of the nicknames which Emily and I have for each other. To be honest, I've only just scraped the top of that barrel.

KBai!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know we have already covered the our-sisters-are-both-named-Emily bit, but my sister also just turned 16 last month. Weird.

Those nicknames sound quite silly, especially what with them being mostly mens names. xD